Water Damage Freeport Maine Water ...
Fire Damage Tips
Tips for a Fire Loss
- Call ServiceMaster Fire & Water Restoration (207) 539-4452
- If the temperature is above 60 degrees and your home is secure, air out your home by opening windows and doors to reduce smoke odor.
- Clean Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures with a cloth to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape damp cheesecloth over important documents to capture loose soot in the air.
- Properly discard any open food packages.
- If the electricity is off, clean out the refrigerator and leave doors propped open.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified restoration dry cleaner. ServiceMaster Fire & Water can handle this for you or refer you to one of our partners
Please AVOID The Following:
- Do not touch anything without gloves or proper protection.D Oil from your hands can permeate the surfaces of upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
- Do not attempt to wash walls as incorrect cleaning could compound the effects of soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean or vacuum carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Do not use any electrical appliances before having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures such as lights or fans, if the ceiling is wet.
Because of the dangerous and often-time volatile chemicals that are present after a fire, as well as the compromised electrical system and presence of water, it is critical to have a trained professional on-hand as soon as possible. Do not attempt to remediate a fire loss on your own. Insurance companies will require evidence of the origin of the fire to be kept intact and you will be risking the exposure to dangerous substances, harmful debris and the possibility that compromised structures will collapse.